Love the modern dark academia aesthetic but not quite sure how to incorporate this moody design style into your bedroom decor at home? You’ve come to the right place! Check out the 4 key design elements that we’ve identified for this style as well as some beautiful modern dark academia decor pieces that we think would work perfectly in the bedroom, below!
Modern Dark Academia Bedroom Key Design Elements
Whilst scouring the internet for the ultimate in modern dark academia bedroom inspiration, we were able to identify 4 common (key) design elements throughout – check them out below;
1. A Dark and Moody Color Palette
As the name suggests, a dark and moody color palette is essential for nailing the modern dark academia aesthetic – think bold blacks and charcoal hues, as well as moody jewel tones like deep teal, turquoise, and navy. For wooden pieces, dark stains like dark walnut, ebony, and jacobean look best.
2. Mix Vintage Finds with Modern Accents
Balance vintage (or vintage-inspired) finds with modern accents for the perfect modern dark academia mix. Think ornate frames/details and classic art styles, paired with modern accent furniture pieces in luxurious fabrics. Don’t forget the brass!
3. Opulent Fabrics and Textures
Opulent fabrics in luxe textures are another must for this design style – think jewel-toned velvet upholstery fabrics, silk, and sateen bedding, as well as thick heavy drapes.
4. Academic Artifacts and Sculptural Elements
Tie the whole look together with a carefully curated selection of academic artifacts (and oddities), sculptural elements, and organic finds – think books, glass candles, Grecian-style busts, apothecary jars, cloches, dried flowers, and globes, again, don’t forget the brass accents!
Modern Dark Academia Bedroom Decor Inspiration
For a selection of modern dark academia-inspired decor pieces that we think would be perfect for the bedroom, check out some of our favorite finds below;
Where to buy:
- ‘Railings No. 31’ Paint Color – via Farrow and Ball
- Willa Arlo Interiors ‘Mendon’ Velvet Throw Pillow – via Wayfair
- Skeem Design Burn Brightly Matches – via Carlyle Avenue
- Henrik Organic Sateen Duvet Cover – via Anthropologie
- Pears Black & White Wall Art (Ruti Shaashua for Artfully Walls) – via Anthropologie
- Mina Storage Bench in Black – via Anthropologie
- Exerz Antique Globe – via Amazon
- Grecian Bust Table Lamp – via Anthropologie
- Rifle Paper Co. Animal Print Wallpaper in Black – via Wayfair
- Gleaming Primrose Vanity Mirror (also in black) – via Anthropologie
- Black and Tan Decor Book Bundle – via STACKEDdecor (Etsy)
- Zodax Smoke Glass Candle Jar – via Carlyle Avenue
- Sand and Stable ‘Eves’ 9-Drawer Dresser – via Wayfair
- Egret Wall Art (Ruti Shaashua for Artfully Walls) – via Anthropologie